klugezone

The Gospel is about transformation-the transformation of our lives by the life of Christ within us. We have to ask ourselves: Do our lives reflect the grace,truth, and love we have received through Christ?* *shine

My Photo
Name:
Location: Honduras

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Extreme home makeover has an entirely different meaning in Honduras. We have no professional camera crews (but plenty of amateur photographers) and there is never a script. There is no designers and the only crazy guy running around and shouting is Marc Connell. (he has no need of a megaphone). The house plans are simple and vary as land and wood size dictate. Demolition takes only a few minutes and is never as much fun as it appears on T.V. everyone doesn't have their own room and I can guarantee that there is not a big screen T.V. any where to be found. The family will not be sent to Disney World, but the jobsite often resembles a circus. But at the end of the "show" a needy family will have a home.

We were able to help build a home on Monday the 23rd of January. The house was built in Mololoa (aka San Miguel). A family had asked for a house last summer and were in desperate need. Their house was about 8' x 6'. It was made of tin and old, rotted, wooden fence posts with a dirt floor. It did need to be replace and looked like a good opportunity to help the family. And then the rains came down, and they came and came and houses washed away. People were left completely homeless and believe it or not needed a home worse than this family.

She was completely floored last Friday when she found out she would be getting a new house on Monday. It was an answered prayer for this family.

Monday morning we arrived ready to tear down her old "house" and build a new one. When we got there she had already cleared away her old house and had the land prepared for her new home. Her parents came to spend the day and you could see the joy and excitement for their daughter and grandchildren.
The two little boys that will be living in the house are beautiful. Their eyes shine and when they smile their face would light up. Needless to say they were smiling a great deal on Monday.

When we got to the job we were ready to go. I put on my cool work gloves with no fingers and found the hammer with my name on the bottom. I looked around to find out where my skills were most needed and realized that I needed to hold some kids. So I took off my gloves, and gave someone else my hammer. I found a rock to sit on and a baby to cuddle.

There was so much help building the house that I was able to spend the entire day just holding children and there were so many children that needed a little love and attention. The children in Mololoa are so needy. I am not just referring to physical needs, even though I can not minimize the need that so many children have for food, clothing, and shoes. For clean water and shelter. But this day it was the emotional needs that I noticed. There was a little girl that is in torn rags and bare feet. She has matted hair and dirt streaked across her face. Her stomach is round with malnutrition. She looks up at me, her brown eyes still have hope. Even though she is living in a "borrowed" house with a dirt floor. She has four brothers and sisters that she has to keep an eye on. She is 6 years old and in charge of the house keys and the children. The only food in her house was a large bag of beans and all of her clothes would not be considered suitable for rags. I haven't yet seen a pair of shoes on her feet. But still hope shined in her eyes.

Her and her sister both grabbed a hold of my shirt and for the entire day they didn't let go. I reached down and cupped her face in my hands. I told her she was beautiful. I held her. I thought that the children needed some attention. So I was going to show them some attention. Those children gave me so much attention and made me feel so wonderful. They combed their little finger through my hair. It is so beautiful they said. They held my hands and admired my soft skin and clean nails. They patted my cheeks and loved the color of my eyes.
I was reminded yet again that while we came to Honduras as servants what we have learned is that we are the ones being served. We came to provide food for their bodies and they feed our spirit. We came to provide shelter for their families and they show us that the Lord is the one who will shelter us. We came to bring joy with gifts and candy they give us joy with their pleasure and thankfulness for the small things we take for granted. We came to share the gospel and love of our Lord Jesus Christ and we are taught how to accept, how to trust, and how to be joyful in all that he has given. We came feeling strong, benevolent, and knowledgeable.
We realize that we are weak, indulged, and ignorant. Day after day our hearts are broken, day after day our pride is humbled, and our spirit is bruised day after day. But day after day the Lord tenderly binds our hearts, day after day he uses our humility to teach us to lean on his strength and not our own. Day after day he gently fills our spirit with his love. So while I planned on paying attention to the children and making them feel special I am the one who left feeling special.

Oh and the house turned out awesome. The family now has a 18'X14' wooden house with a wood floor. The boys were so excited. They were running around and around the house with their arms out. Their eyes were sparkling and smiles split their faces from cheek to cheek. Their mother walked around in her new home in a state of shock. She just couldn't believe that this house is hers. That her family now has a safe and secure home. I was so happy for her. The Lord provided them with a new home.
We didn't say, "Move that bus!"
We had a prayer thanking God for all that he has done and will do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We enjoyed reading your blog posts. You are doing a selfless work there. We send you greetings from Arkansas. Hope to be able to see your family again sometime. God bless. Rob, Debbie, and Jaymi Combs

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home