klugezone

The Gospel is about transformation-the transformation of our lives by the life of Christ within us. We have to ask ourselves: Do our lives reflect the grace,truth, and love we have received through Christ?* *shine

My Photo
Name:
Location: Honduras

Sunday, April 01, 2007














There was a family in Mololoa whose home caught fire. The family, father pregnant mother, six year old daughter and twin 2 year olds are all physically fine. Thank God.

But the fire literally destroyed everything that this family owned. A wooden house and an unattended candle led to the loss of all of their earthly possessions.

There is no fire department rushing to the rescue. No insurance claims to fill out. It is just gone. Everything. Gone.

The mother of the family came to us and ask if we had any clothes, anything at all that we could give her. She was bringing the children to the kitchen to eat. She was sleeping with her family on the bare lot where there house once stood. She doesn’t have clothes to wear, pots to cook in, and a blanket to cover up with.

We were able to gather her some basic necessities and Randy made a few phone calls. It was no time at all before he received word from Port Charlotte church of Christ that they had raised the money and had a check in the mail to replace her house.

I was so thankful to hear this. The church learned of a need and took action to see the need met. I don’t know why I continue to be surprised. I have seen time and again how my brothers and sisters in Christ will “step up to the plate”. I am continuously amazed at their generosity and love for people they have only heard about. I have found that people want to help. All we have to do is ask. Sometimes by not asking I believe that we are denying them the opportunity to put their faith into action.

Well let me tell you the action began here at once. The home site was not hard to clear; it had already been cleared thanks to the fire. I was amazed to see hinges and lock from the door just lying in the ashes. The crew was pretty slim this day. But we all worked with a good attitude and that makes such a difference. I know why the bible says not to grumble. A person’s attitude, even when faced with a hard task, can make the difference between doing a job and serving the Lord. When you keep your eyes focus on God and the people that you are helping in his name your load is lighter, you seem to have extra energy and you strive to do your best work.

I know that the woman was pleased. She wanted to help and even carried some wood up the mountain, but I was too fearful for her and the baby and ask her to help with something else or better yet rest. The jobsite was difficult to get the wood to, a narrow path on loose rocks up a steep incline with a sharp turn. I tell you flat Florida never seemed so beautiful as when I am facing an up hill climb on loose rocks with a piece of wood on my shoulder. Yes as usual I was “lapped” several times by the young guys, and yes they would carry three times the load. But perseverance is rewarded.

The house went up very fast and with no real problems. I guess everything gets smoother with practice, I will not say easier with practice because my practice is coming with age and it is not getting any easier to build a house with age. I am proud of the fact that more often than not I hit the nail on the head now, and I have learned to hold the hammer down on the handle and not up by the head. I will never be able to drive the nail home in one good whack like a few people I know, but once again perseverance. The homeowner swung the hammer a few times; it was wonderful to see the sparkle in her eyes and the giggles as she missed again and again taking forever to do two nails.

Her 6 year old daughter was all smiles and laughter. She was skipping and jumping up and down the mountain, begging to have her picture taken. When we had the floor done she stood spinning in circles with her arms spread wide. Dancing across the beautiful new wooden floor of her new house. She peeked out of the window and door. It was like she was so full of joy that it either had to come out or she would just explode with it. After we were finished with the house and had all gathered inside the house for a prayer she was still wiggling all over.

I bet she giggled and wiggled most of the night, safe, warm and dry in her new house. Thank you to our Brothers and Sisters in Christ for seeing a need and meeting that need without delay. You not only provided a safe secure shelter for a needy family, you provided us an opportunity to serve others, you provided a way for us to show the love of Christ to others in a physical way, you provided joy to a little girls heart, you provided smiles and tears of joy for a mother who had known only tears of sorrow as of late. I thank you. The new Homeowners thank you.



















































































































































































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home