klugezone

The Gospel is about transformation-the transformation of our lives by the life of Christ within us. We have to ask ourselves: Do our lives reflect the grace,truth, and love we have received through Christ?* *shine

My Photo
Name:
Location: Honduras

Friday, January 12, 2007

The ringing of the Honduran telephone.............

I was at home cooking on Friday for the next days dinner with the ladies at Mololoa. The Honduran line rings, oh boy.
Well what to do, most of the time it is a wrong number, 99% of the time they only speak Spanish, sometimes it is Jen, but she usually calls my cell. Okay here I go. Hello? Yes, hello does Jennifer Arnold live here? What? It is English without an accent, but with a lot of static. Well yes she does, but she isn't here. So I ask who it is. Harmony from Jen's TN church. Okay. Well they had planned a family trip here for nine people, they got fogged in, their contact here was going back to the states and they wanted to know if there was any work. Could we help set up lodging and work for them, was it worth them trying to continue on their trip.

Well I said let me think it over....No just kidding, I said you get here and we will help in every way and as for work, well I am sure we could find a few things to do here and there.

Saturday and nine people I don't know arrive, without any luggage and starving. Well we were having Christmas dinner in Mololoa and we had just finished and there were plenty of left overs. They ate and then got to work, they packed all the kitchen workers gift baskets and helped clean up.

They wanted to go by the mall for some new clothes. They had to wear the same ones for several days. As we were getting ready to leave they noticed the people coming to church and I told them about bible class. The group decided it was far more important to attend class than to get clean clothes. The class was wonderful with Rex leading songs in English and Leo in Spanish.

After church everyone came to the house to borrow a few things. They had peanut butter sandwiches and borrowed socks and they were happy. I have never seen a family deal with so many obstacles just to get here and then still have such a thankful spirit even when wearing the same clothes for days and having no idea when and if their things would get here. I really admire the way that they accepted the situation and still rejoiced. I have a lot to learn from them.

They worked so hard as a family, each doing their part and encouraging one another. They worked in the kitchen, they planted trees, made a drain ditch, hauled rocks, water, and even manure to fertilize the trees. They picked up bags and bags of trash, passed out shoes, fixed our drain pipe problem, worshiped on Sunday with us, built a house, provided watermelon as a special treat, made friends with Franklin, made special gift bags for the children, helped with Sunday school, loved and shared joy and happiness with all of the children. We often work and work hard, but the attitude that this family had was special. Wearing the same jeans for a couple of days, feeling way too hot and so what do you do? You make shorts and get back in the game.

I want to say a special thank you to this family. Not for all of the work that you did (even though it was amazing what you did in such a short time) but for you example of how to not only survive adversity and set backs but how to thrive in adversity and set backs. So I thank you. I pray for your family and I thank God in my prayers for you. Please know that you are welcome in my home at anytime. I always answer the Honduras phone line now...who knows who may be calling....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home